Skid Plate Development by using Topography Optimization
Pankajkumar Narayanrao Salunke and Sandip M. Patil
International Journal of Analytical, Experimental and Finite Element Analysis
Volume 9: Issue 2, June 2022, pp 9-14
Pankajkumar Narayanrao Salunke
PG Student, S.G.D.College of Engineering, Jalgaon, India
Sandip M. Patil
Assistant Professor, S.G.D.College of Engineering, Jalgaon, India
Abstract:-The objective of this paper is to show that how the development of skid plate can achieve without increasing the gauge and upgrading the material properties. There are certain factors which can influence the skid plate such as rail width, shape, ground clearance, attachment points, load coming on skid plate and the general shape of the object for which it is the skid plate's design and purpose is to protect (transfer case, fuel tank etc.). This document also covers the CAE procedure to evaluate performance of skid plate for structural integrity under static load condition for vehicles. Bead plays an important role to increase the structural stiffness but challenge is how to decide bead patterns and bead pattern can be achieved by using topography optimization approach. The skid plate should absorb the damage and protect underneath parts and protect vehicle function ability. This paper will demonstrate a few ways to achieve a successful skid plate design while gaining some other unexpected benefits described herein.
Index Terms:-Skid plate, off road vehicle, CAE, Stiffness, Topography.
- Dong-chan Lee, Hyeun-seok Choi, Chang-soo Han “Design of automotive body structure using multicriteria Optimization”, Struct Multidisc Optim (2006) 32: 161–167
- Rajan R. Chakravarty “Study of Topography Optimization on Automotive Body Structure”, SAE International, University of Texas Libraries, August 05, 2018, 2009-01-1233
- McKune, P. and Chih-Yu Lin, A., "High Strength Steel Skid Plates: A Design Optimization Study," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3069, 2001.
- Steve Tornero, Mark R. Moldovan, David J. Cogdell “Increased Life/Noise Reduction of Mechanical Components by Applying Topographical Imagery and Surface Mapping Methodology”, SAE International, University of California Berkeley, August 02, 2018, 2004-01-3482.
- Eduardo Domingo Morales, Sergio Ferreira Alexandre, Leandro Vieira da Silva Macedo “Optimization Methods Applied to Development of Vehicle Structures”, SAE International by Univ of California Berkeley, August 01, 2018 2013-36-0455.
- Takanobu Saito, Jiro Hiramoto, and Toshiaki Urabe “Development of Optimization Method for Automotive Parts and Structures”, SAE International, Univ of Nottingham - Kings Meadow Campus, August 13, 2018, 2014-01-0410 Published 04/01/2014.
- T. Murton, R. Rahmani, J. Crew, “Structural analysis and topology optimisation of an after cooler cover for weight reduction in off-highway engine application”, International Journal of Powertrains, 7(1/2/3):24, March 2018.
- M. A. Kumbhalkar, D. V. Bhope, A. V. Vanalkar, “Finite Element Analysis of Rail Vehicle Suspension Spring for Its Fatigue Life Improvement”, Advanced Manufacturing and Materials Science, Lecture Notes on Multidisciplinary Industrial Engineering, Springer Nature, pp. 39-53, 2018.
- M. A. Kumbhalkar, D. V. Bhope and A. V. Vanalkar, “Analysis of Rail Vehicle Suspension Spring with Special Emphasis on Curving, Tracking and Tractive Efforts”, IOP Conference Series: Material Science and Engineering, Volume 149, pp 1-13, 2016.
- Wolfgang Achtziger and Michal Koˇcvara “Structural Topology Optimization with Eigenvalues”, SIAM Journal on Optimization 18(4):1129-1164, January 2007
- Niyazi Tanlak “Topological indentation pattern design of plates for maximum frequency gap” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 57, 995–1003, January 27, 2018.
To view full paper, Download here .