Design Modification and Analysis of Disc Brake
Varun S. Shroff, Ishan M. Kulkarni, Abhishek S. Urankar, Sumit S. Salunkhe
International Journal of Analytical, Experimental and Finite Element Analysis
Volume 9: Issue 2, June 2022, pp 34-42
Varun S. Shroff1
1Design Modification and Analysis of Disc Brake
Ishan M. Kulkarni2, Abhishek S. Urankar3, Sumit S. Salunkhe4
2,3,4Department of Mechanical Engineering, JSPM Narhe Technical Campus, Pune, India
Abstract:-Many difficulties surround the heating characteristics of brakes when it comes to their creation, including contact region features, material choice, development of hot spots, associated physical geometry, and deformations, as brakes are subjected to continuous operation. Therefore, it is must for all vehicles to have proper brake system. In this report there is the modification of the disc and that results in the design are used to carry out analysis on it. The analysis of standard disc brake model and new design using in Ansys is done the Thermal analysis and Modal analysis also calculate the deflection and Heat flux, Temperature of disc brake model. Understanding the different forces (action and friction) which are acting on the disc brake, as well as how the disc brake operates more efficiently, will assist to reduce the number of accidents that occur each day. The primary goal of this research is to examine the brake disc's thermo-mechanical behavior during braking. The disc material is changed to carbon-ceramic, and the results of the FEA of the new design disc are used. This study presents the findings and the disc's future prospects.
Index Terms:-Disc Brakes, rotor, friction, ANSYS.
- W. Li, X. Yang, S. Wang, J. Xiao, Q. Hou, Comprehensive analysis on the performance and material of automobile brake discs, Metals 10, 1–18 (2020)
- NJ Kanu, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, Self-healing composites: A state-of-the-art review. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing. 121 (2019) 474-486.
- NJ Kanu, UK Vates, GK Singh, S Chavan, Fracture problems, vibration, buckling, and bending analyses of functionally graded materials: A state-of-the-art review including smart FGMS. Particulate Science and Technology. 37 (2019) 583-608.
- UK Vates, BP Sharma, NJ Kanu, NA Daniel, S Subramanian, P Sharma, Optimization of process parameters of galvanizing steel in resistance seam welding using RSM. Proceedings of International Conference in Mechanical and Energy Technology, Springer, Singapore. (2020) 695-706.
- NJ Kanu, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, An insight into biomimetic 4D printing. RSC Advances. 9 (2019) 38209-38226.
- NJ Kanu, D Patwardhan, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, Numerical investigations of stress-deformation responses in fractured paediatric bones with prosthetic bone plates. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 814 (2020) 012038.
- A Lal, NJ Kanu, The nonlinear deflection response of CNT/nanoclay reinforced polymer hybrid composite plate under different loading conditions. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 814 (2020) 012033.
- H.S. Qi, A.J. Day, Investigation of disc/pad interface temperatures in friction braking, Wear 262, 505–513 (2007)
- A. Borowski, Common methods in analyzing the tribological properties of brake pads and discs a review, Acta Mech. Autom. 13, 189–199 (2019)
- NJ Kanu, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, An insight into smart self-lubricating composites. Smart Polymer Nanocomposites: Biomedical and Environmental Applications. (2021) 85-101.
- NJ Kanu, D Patwardhan, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, Finite element analysis of mechanical response of fracture fixation functionally graded bone plate at paediatric femur bone fracture site under compressive and torsional loadings. Materials Today: Proceedings. 38 (2021) 2817-2823.
- V Pandey, NJ Kanu, GK Singh, B Gadissa, AZ31-alloy, H13-die combination heat transfer characteristics by using inverse heat conduction algorithm. Materials Today: Proceedings. 44 (2021) 4762-4766.
- A Chauhan, UK Vates, NJ Kanu, E Gupta, GK Singh, BP Sharma, SR Gorrepati, Fabrication and characterization of novel nitinol particulate reinforced aluminium alloy metal matrix composites (NiTip/AA6061 MMCs). Materials Today: Proceedings. 38 (2021) 3027-3034.
- R. Bhat, K.S. Lee, Optimization of brake parameters for a disc brake system to improve the heat dissipation using Taguchi method, Int. J. Mech. Eng. Technol. 8, 44–52 (2017).
- N Jain, NJ Kanu, The potential application of carbon nanotubes in water Treatment: A state-of-the-art-review. Materials Today: Proceedings. 43 (2021) 2998-3005.
- P. Liu, H. Zheng, C. Cai, Y. Wang, C. Lu, K.H. Ang, G.R. Liu, Analysis of disc brake squeal using the complex eigenvalue method, Appl. Acoust. 68, 603–615 (2007)
- NJ Kanu, SA Patil, V Sutar, E Gupta, GK Singh, UK Vates, S Chavan, Design and CFD analyses of aluminium alloy-based vortex tubes with multiple inlet nozzles for their optimum performances in sustainable applications. Materials Today: Proceedings. 47 (2021) 2808-2813.
- S Kadam, S Chavan, NJ Kanu, An insight into advance self-healing composites. Materials Research Express. 8 (2021) 052001. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/abfba5.
- M. Chopade, A. Valavade, Experimental investigation using CFD for thermal performance of ventilated disc brake rotor, Int. J. Autom. Technol. 18, 235–244 (2017).
- S. Subhasis, P.P. Rathod, A.J. Modi, Research paper on modelling and simulation of Disc brake to analyze temperature distribution using FEA, Int. J. Sci. Res. Dev. 2, 491–494 (2014).
- MA Kumbhalkar, DV Bhope, AV Vanalkar, “Analysis of Rail Vehicle Suspension Spring with Special Emphasis on Curving, Tracking and Tractive Efforts”, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 149 (1), 012131.
- NJ Kanu, A Mangalam, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, DK Sinha, Investigation on secondary deformation of ultrafine SiC particles reinforced LM25 metal matrix composites. Materials Today: Proceedings. 47 (2021) 3054-3058.
- V Pandey, A Bekele, GMS Ahmed, NJ Kanu, GK Singh, An application of conjugate gradient technique for determination of thermal conductivity as an inverse engineering problem. Materials Today: Proceedings. 47 (2021) 3082-3087.
- N. Idusuyi, I. Babajide, O.K. Ajayi, T.T. Olugasa, A computational study on the use of an Aluminium metal matrix composite and Aramid as alternative brake disc and brake pad material, J. Eng. 2014, 1–6 (2014).
- N Jain, E Gupta, NJ Kanu, Plethora of Carbon nanotubes applications in various fields–A state-of-the-art-review. Smart Science. (2021).
- G. Ganesan, S. Magibalan, S. Gokul, K.P. Gopalakrishnan, S. Packayiraj, Design and fabrication of disc brake by using aluminum metal matrix composites, J. Emerg. Technolog. Innov. Res. 4, 77–81 (2017)
- M.H. Dakhil, A.K. Rai, P.R. Reddy, A.A.H. Jabbar, Design and structural analysis of disc brake in automobiles, Int. J. Mech. Product. Res. Dev. 4, 95–112 (2014)
- Ayushi, UK Vates, S Mishra, NJ Kanu, Biomimetic 4D printed materials: A state-of-the-art review on concepts, opportunities, and challenges. Materials Today: Proceedings. 47 (2021) 3313-3319.
- NJ Kanu, Modeling of stress wave propagation in matrix cracked laminates. AIP Advances. 11 (2021) 085217.
- NJ Kanu, S Bapat, H Deodhar, E Gupta, GK Singh, UK Vates, GC Verma, V Pandey, An Insight into Processing and Properties of Smart Carbon Nanotubes Reinforced Nanocomposites. Smart Science. (2021).
- D.K. Dhir, Thermo-Mechanical performance of automotive disc brakes, Mater. Today Proc. 1, 1864–1871 (2018)
- M. Nouby, J. Abdo, D. Mathivanan, K. Srinivasan, Evaluation of disc brake materials for squeal reduction, Tribol. Trans. 4, 644–656 (2011).
- SA Sakhare, SM Pendkar, NJ Kanu, E Gupta, UK Vates, GK Singh, GC Verma, Design suggestions on modified self-sustainable space toilet. SN Applied Sciences. 4 (2022) 13.
- UK Vates, BP Sharma, NJ Kanu, E Gupta, GK Singh, Modeling and optimization of IOT factors to enhance agile manufacturing strategy-based production system using SCM and RSM. Smart Science. (2021).
- NJ Kanu, A Lal, Nonlinear static and dynamic performance of CNT reinforced and nanoclay modified laminated nanocomposite plate. AIP Advances. 12 (2022) 025102.
- NJ Kanu, A Lal, Nonlinear static analysis of CNT/nanoclay particles reinforced polymer matrix composite plate using secant function-based shear deformation theory. Smart Science. (2022).
To view full paper, Download here .