Various Technological Aspects of Nano Electro Mechanical Systems-A Review Report
Rina Mahakud, Millee Panigrahi, Santyanarayan Rath
Volume 1: Issue 3, July 2014, pp 139-144
1TAT / ETC, Bhubaneswar, India
2TAT / ETC, Bhubaneswar, India
3TAT / ECE, Bhubaneswar, India
Abstract:-NEMS or nano electro mechanical systems are similar to MEMS or micro electro mechanical systems but smaller. They hold promise to improve abilities to measure small displacements and forces at a molecular scale, and are related scale. Nanoelectromechanical systems, or NEMS, are MEMS scaled to submicron dimensions . In this size regime, it is possible to attain extremely high fundamental frequencies while simultaneously preserving very high mechanical responsivity (small force constants). This powerful combination of attributes translates directly into high force sensitivity, operability at ultralow power, and the ability to induce usable nonlinearity with quite modest control forces. The possibility of simple, low cost fabrication, made possible by developments in Nano Imprint Lithography (NIL). This paper discusses the manufacturing aspects of NEMS considering the latest trends in miniaturization with the attention on materials used for nanoscale components. Further it overviews the current applications in the engineering, military, medical applications. The paper also gives the various design aspects like modeling, characterization, simulation, and control for some of the applications along with the packaging aspects nanoscale systems and its components. This paper also provides the environmental impacts of Nano Electro Mechanical Systems..
Index Terms:-Nano technology, Nano Electro Mechanical System, MEMS, high force sensitivity, Nano Imprint Lithography (NIL).
- Sergey Edward Lyshevski, book on Nano and Microelectromechanical Systems, CRC press, 2001
- M. L. Roukes, “Nanoelectromechanical Systems” , condensed matter physics ,114-36.
- James J Allen, ―Micro Electro Mechanical System Design, CRC Press, 2005.
- Changhong Ke, Horacio D. Espinosa, ―Nanoelectromechanical Systems and Modeling, Handbook of Theoretical and Computational Nanotechnology,Volume 1: Pages (1–38) (2005).
- Yu. E. Lozovik, A. G. Nikolaev, and A. M. Popov, ―Nanotube-Based Nanoelectromechanical Systems, ISSN 1063-7761, Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Physics, 2006, Vol. 103, No. 3, pp. 449–462.
- Lee, Y.C, Amir Parviz, B., Chiou, J.A., Shaochen Chen, ―Packaging for microelectromechanical and nanoelectromechanical systems, Advanced Packaging, IEEE Transactions , 26 :3 , 217 – 226 (2003)
- Lebedeva, A .A. Knizhnik, et.al, ―Dissipation and fluctuations in nanoelectromechanical systems based on carbon nanotubes, Nanotechnology ,PACS 61.46
- Changhong Ke, Horacio D. Espinosa, Nanoelectromechanical Systems and Modeling, Handbook of Theoretical and Computational Nanotechnology,Volume 1: Pages (1–38) (2005)
- Husain, J. Hone, H. W. Ch. Postma, X. M. H. Huang, T. Drake, M. Barbic, A. Scherer, and M. L. Roukes, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 1240 (2003) Nano electromechanical systems, Wikipedia website information.
- Andras kis, Alex zettl, nanomechanics of carbon nanotubes, phil. Trans.R. soc., 366, 1591-1611(2008)
- MEMS and NEMS, presentation by Raj Nagarajan
- Bhushan,MEMS/NEMS and BioMEMS/BioNEMS Materials and Devices and Biomimetics, presentatation
- Michael roukes, ―Nanoelectromechanical systems face the future, http://physicsweb.org/article/world/14/2/8
To view full paper, Download here .