Designing A Forging Die for Hanger Bolt using CAD
Prashant P. Bansod, Dr. D. J. Tidke
Volume 2: Issue 2, June 2015, pp 64-66
Prashant P. Bansod1
1M. Tech. CAD/CAM, Department of Mechanical Engineering, G. H. Raisoni College of Engineering, Nagpur- 440016, India
Dr. D. J. Tidke2
2Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, G. H. Raisoni College of Engineering, Nagpur- 440016, India
Abstract:-The life of a forging die and the amount of flash produced in forging are the main issues of concern in all forging operations together with material wastage, overall cost and post process trimming costs. While proper control of the flash is essential to ensure die filling, the service life of hot forging die depends mainly on thermal, mechanical and combined stresses. Geometrical design of the pre-form has significant relationship with the forging load and flash amount in forging complex parts. This paper deals with flash reduction of forging die for a Hanger Bolt, commonly used in lifts, by using flash less forging approach. It is revealed that the preform can be accurately designed to control volume distribution, complete filling of the cavity and to avoid overloading the dies. Application of CREO software has been demonstrated in designing the die with the objective of minimizing the flash.
Index Terms:-forging, flash, die design, preform, die design
- Dr. Taylan Altan, Mayur Deshpande, Adam Groseclose, ―Selection of die materials and surface treatments for increasing die life in hot and warm forging,FIA Tech Conference, April 2011, PP 644.
- Chenggang Pan, Huachang Wang, Jialin Zhou, ―Sensitivity Effect of Specific Heat Capacity on Combined Stress of Hot Forging Die WASE International Conference on Information Engineering, vol. no.3(2010), PP 67-70.
- Harshil Parikh, Bhavin Mehta, Jay Gunasekera, ―Forging Process Analysis and Preform Design, Journals of forging die, 2009, pp 76-87.
- Brecher, W. Klein, M. Tannert, ―Optimization of multi-stage closed-die forging processes by coupled simulation of the machine and the forging processes, German Academic Society for Production Engineering (WGP), 2010, PP 279-286.
- Geoffrey and Peter ―Product design for Manufacture and Assembly, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 2002, chapter no.14.
- M. Sedighi, S. Tokmechi, ―A new approach to preform design in forging process of complex parts, Journal of materials processing technology, 2008, PP 314–324.
- B. Tomov, R. Radev, V. Gagov, ―Influence of flash design upon process parameters of hot die forging, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 2004, PP 620-623.
- M. Jolgaf, A.M.S. Hamouda, S. Sulaiman, M.M. Hamdan, ―Development of a CAD/CAM system for the closed-die forging process, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 138 (2003) PP. 436–442.
- Richard Douglas, David Kuhlmann,, ―Guidelines for precision hot forging with applications, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 98 (2000) PP.182-188.
To view full paper, Download here .