Energy Absorption Capacity of Thin Walled Circular Aluminium Sections
Achin, Dr. Gaurav Tiwari
Volume 2: Issue 2, June 2015, pp 73-79
1Deptt. of Mechanical Engineering Mewar University, Chittaurgarh Rajasthan-312901, India
Dr. Gaurav Tiwari2
2Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology, Nagpur-440010, Maharashtra, India
Abstract:-In this research, capacity of thin walled circular aluminium tubes to sustain plastic deformation was tested under quasi static axial compression forces. For this purpose test was conducted in two segments, starting from the computational part, performed on finite element code ABAQUS, where the tubes of D/T ratio 7.23, 11.40, 23.61, and 24.41 and L/D ratio as 4.56, 4.23, 4.11, and 3.94 were modelled to compress them under static compression loads and observe the nature of collapse along with load carrying capacity for individual test piece while the identical test were done on compression testing machine to verify the existence of results obtained from computational analysis. Finite element code has been taken in use due to its versatility in complex problem solving skills. Tensile testing was also performed to identify the nature of aluminium material through stress strain curve, whose values were employed further in computational analysis for embedding the properties of modelled specimens. Observations of collapse modes and maximum load carrying capacity was compared at the end, both the results of computational as well as practical analysis were in found good agreement with each other. Finite element method had also proved its significance in the prediction of modes of collapse on thin walled structures.
Index Terms:-3D Modelling and simulation, Finite element analysis, Computational test, axial compression test
- Gupta N.K., Plasticity and impact mechanics. New Age International (P) Ltd, New Delhi, 1996.
- Alghamdi A.A.A., Collapsible impact energy absorbers: an overview, Thin-Walled Structures 39 (189–213), 2001.
- Borvik T, Hopperstad O.S., Reyes A, Empty and foam filled circular aluminium tubes subjected to axial and oblique quasi static loading, IJ Crash Volume 8, No.5 pp. 481-494, 2003.
- Galib D.Al, Limam A, Experimental and numerical investigation of static and dynamic axial crushing of circular aluminium tubes, Thin-Walled Structures 42 (1103–1137),2004.
- Karagiozova D, Jones N, Dynamic elastic–plastic buckling of circular cylindrical shells under axial impact, International Journal of Solids and Structures 37, (2005–2034), 2000.
- Pled Florent, Yan Wenyi and Wen Cuie, Crushing Modes of Aluminium Tubes under Axial Compression, 5th Australasian Congress on Applied Mechanics (ACAM 2007), Brisbane, Australia (2007).
- Zarei H.R and Kröger M, Crashworthiness optimization of empty and filled aluminium crash boxes, International Journal of Crashworthiness, Vol. 12 No. 3 pp. 255–264, 2007.
- Zhang Xiong, Cheng Gengdong, You Zhong, Zhang Hui, Energy absorption of axially compressed thin-walled square tubes with patterns, Thin-Walled Structures 45 (737–746), 2007.
- Adachi Tadaharu, Tomiyama Atsuo, Araki Wakako, Yamaji Akihiko, Energy absorption of thin walled cylinder with ribs subjected to axial impact, International Journal of Impact Engineering 35 (65–79), 2008.
- Gupta P.K., Gupta N.K. and Sekhon G.S., Finite Element Analysis of Collapse of Metallic Tubes, Defence Science Journal, Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 34-45, January 2008.
- Ehlers S, Strain and stress relation until fracture for finite element simulations of a thin circular plate, Thin-Walled Structures, 48 (1-8), 2010.
- Shahi V.J, Marzbanrad J, Analytical and experimental studies on quasi static axial crush behaviour of thin walled tailor made aluminium tubes, Thin-walled Stru0ctures 60 (24-37), 2012.
- Eyvazian Arameh, Habibi M.K, Axial crushing behaviour and energy absorption efficiency of corrugated tubes, Materials and Design 54 1028-1038), 2014.
- Kiran Raj, Khandelwal Nimish, Tripathi Pushkar, Collap6se Behaviour and Energy Absorption of Aluminium tubes filled with Wood Sawdust, International Journal of Engineering Research and Reviews ISSN 2348-697X, Vol. 2, Issue 3, pp: (16-22), Month: July - September 2014.
- Rouzegar Jafar, Assaee Hasan, Geometrical Discontinuities effects on lateral crushing and energy absorption of tubular structures, Material and Design 65 (343-359), 2015.
- Johnson W, Reid S.R, Metallic energy dissipating systems, Appl Mech Rev, 31(3):277–88, 1978.
To view full paper, Download here .