Increase the Efficiency of Internal Combustion Engine Fin by Replacing the Conventional Fin with Parabolic Fin

Shamim Alam, Dr. Gaurav Tiwari
Volume 2: Issue 2, June 2015, pp 80-84


Author's Information
Shamim Alam1 
Corresponding Author
1Dept. of Mechanical Engineering Mewar University, Chittaurgarh Rajasthan-312901, India

Dr. Gaurav Tiwari2
2Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology, Nagpur-440010, Maharashtra, India

Research Article -- Peer Reviewed
Published online – 30 June 2015

Open Access article under Creative Commons License

Cite this article – Shamim Alam, Dr. Gaurav Tiwari “Increase the Efficiency of Internal Combustion Engine Fin by Replacing the Conventional Fin with Parabolic Fin”, International Journal of Analytical, Experimental and Finite Element Analysis, RAME Publishers, vol. 2, issue 2, pp. 80-84, June 2015.
ark:/13960/t9h51nk8c


Abstract:-
Energy conservation and efficiency have always been the quest of engineers concerned with IC engines. In 1882, Sir Dugald Clerk showed the efficiency of the Otto cycle to depend solely upon the expansion ratio. As we know, if excess heat is not removed, engine components fail due to excessive temperature. Only approximately 25-30% of the energy released is converted into useful work. The remaining (70%) must be removed from the engine to prevent the parts from melting. This paper is related to increase the efficiency of fins used in two wheeler four stroke internal combustion engine.
Index Terms:-
Internal combustion engine, Finite element analysis, Parabolic fin
REFERENCES
  1. Stanwood, W. Sparrow, “The Effect of Changes in Compression Ratio upon Engine Performance,” A Report No. 205, pp. 399, April 1920.

  2. Gogineni. Prudhvi, Gada. Vinay, G. Suresh Babu, “Cooling Systems in Automobiles & Cars,”International Journal of Engineering and Advance Technology, pp.688-698, April 2003.

  3. Joshi H. M. and Webb R. L. (1987). Heat Transfer and Friction in Offset Strip Fin Heat Exchanger, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 30(1): 69-80.

  4. A.C. Alkidas (1980). Heat Transfer Characteristics of a Spark-Ignition Engine, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol 102 pp.189-193.

  5. A.C. Alkidas and J.P. Myers (1982). Transient Heat-Flux Measurements in the Combustion Chamber of a Spark-Ignition Engine, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol 104 pp.62-67.

  6. Aerospace Specification Metals Inc. Aluminium 6061-T6; 6061-T651.

  7. Heywood J. B., Internal combustion Engines Fundamentals. McGraw Hill Book Company, 1988.

  8. Shinde Sandip chandrakant et al, “Numerical and Experimental Analysis of Heat Transfer through Various Types of Fin Profiles by Forced Convection”, International Journal of Engineering Research& Technology, ISSN: 2278-0181, Vol. 2, Issue 7, 2493-2501, 2013.

  9. G babu and M. Lavakumar, “Heat Transfer Analysis and Optimization of Engine Cylinder Fins of Varying Geometry and Material”, IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Vol. 7, Issue 4, 24-29, 2013.


To view full paper, Download here .


To View Full Paper

Publishing with