Design and Development of Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) System for Industries Based on Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology
Ajay A. Mahawadiwar, Dr. Anil R Sahu
Volume 2: Issue 3, Sept 2015, pp 104-108
Ajay A. Mahawadiwar1
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bapurao Deshmukh College of Engineering, Sewagram, Wardha, India
Dr. Anil R Sahu2
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Bapurao Deshmukh College of Engineering, Sewagram, Wardha, India
Abstract:-Automated guided vehicles (AGVs) are known for their routing flexibility advantage, hence they are frequently applied in automated warehouses, airports, Automated storage(AS) /Retrieval System(RS) to optimize the transportation tasks and, consequently, to reduce costs. Automated guided vehicle (AGV) is used widely in many industrial applications to transport materials. A short-travel material transport system is designed and controlled in this paper for a unit load AGV to transfer the material from Pick-up station rack to the Placing of material to finished goods rack aisle and back, including a both-side pick-and-place-material transfer mechanism and a programmable logic controller (PLC). AGV follows the path as per program in microprocessor and on-board sensors on the AGV, and locates itself according to the RFID tags beside the pick-up station. The RFID module detects the pick-up position of finished goods for the gripper and the placing the same in designated storage racks, and controls the horizontal and vertical movement of the load-transfer mechanism by using a geared motor and a chain and sprocket mechanism for 180 degree rotation of finished goods on the other side. The finished goods transfer experiments of our AGV testify the performance of this material transport system.
Index Terms:-AS/RS, gripper control, RFID, AGV, material transport, mechanism control
- Schulze, L.; Wüllner, A., ―The Approach of Automated Guided Vehicle Systems, presented at 2006 IEEE International Conference on Service Operations, Logistics and Informatics, 21.-23.06.2006, Shanghai, China.
- Guo F., Yuan X., Yu D., Yuan K., ―Research on Key Technology of AGVs, Journal of University of Science and Technology Beijing, 1999 (in Chinese).
- Wu Xing., Lou Peihuang., Cai Qixiang., Zhou Chidong., Shen ke., Jin chen., ―Design and Control of Material Transport System for Automated Guided Vehicle, UKACC International Conference on Control 2012 Cardiff, UK, 3-5 September 2012.
- Yinghua Xue., ―Intelligent Storage and Retrieval Systems Based on RFID and Vision in Automated Warehouse, Journal of Networks, Vol. 7, No. 2, February 2012.
- Er. Atique Shaikh ., Prof. Atul Dhale ., ―AGV Path Planning and Obstacle Avoidance Using Dijkstra‘s Algorithm International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM) Volume 2, Issue 6, June 2013.
- E.W.T. Ngai ., Li Xiu ., D.C.K. Chau ., ―Application of data mining techniques in customer relationship management: A literature review and classification Elsevier, Expert Systems with Applications 36 (2009) 2592–2602.
- Xing Wu ., Peihuang Lou ., Ke Shen ., Guangqing Peng .,Dunbing Tang ., ― Precise Transhippment Control of an Automated Magnetic-Guided Vehicle Using Optics Positioning International Journal on Smart Sensing And Intelligent Systems Vol. 7, No. 1, March 2014.
To view full paper, Download here .